Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Jeff Flake, Doug Jones, and Decency

In response to the results of the Alabama special election for the U.S. Senate, Jeff Flake took to Twitter to declare, "Decency wins."



I have a problem putting the slaughter of the unborn and decency together.



CHUCK TODD: Let me ask you on abortion, what are the limitations that you believe should be in the law when it comes to an abortion?

DOUG JONES: Well, look, I, I am a firm believer that a woman should have the freedom to choose what happens to her own body, and I'm gonna stand up for that. And I'm gonna make sure that that continues to happen. I want to make sure that as we go forward people have access to contraception, they have access to the abortion that they might need, if that's what they choose to do. I think that that's gonna be an issue that we can work with and talk to people about from both sides of the aisle. It's one of those issues that I think....

CHUCK TODD: But you wouldn't legislate, so, you wouldn't be in favor of legislation that said ban abortion after 20 weeks, or something like that.

DOUG JONES: No, I'm not in favor of anything that is going to infringe on a woman's right and her freedom to choose. That's just the position that I've had for many years. It's the position I continue to have. But when those people, I want to make sure that people understand, that once a baby is born, I'm gonna be there for that child. That's where I become a right-to-lifer.

Jones clarified his comments about abortion in another interview, but he just reiterated his earlier remarks.

From AL.com:

In an interview this week with AL.com at his Huntsville campaign office, Jones said he wanted "to be clear" where he stood in the aftermath of a national interview with MSNBC that included abortion and led some political observers in the state to speculate he had damaged his campaign.

During a wide-ranging interview on Tuesday, Jones - who faces Republican Roy Moore in the Senate election -- was asked by AL.com about his position on abortion.

"Those comments, everybody wants to attack you so they are going to make out on those comments what they want to their political advantage," Jones said. "To be clear, I fully support a woman's freedom to choose to what happens to her own body. That is an intensely, intensely personal decision that only she, in consultation with her god, her doctor, her partner or family, that's her choice.

"Having said that, the law for decades has been that late-term procedures are generally restricted except in the case of medical necessity. That's what I support. I don't see any changes in that. It is a personal decision."
Decency wins?

Not really.





No comments: