Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Katy Tur, NBC News, and Obama Promising Putin 'Flexibility'



Is NBC's Katy Tur clueless, or is she being dishonest?

Does she really not remember what Obama promised to the Russian president?

"On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this can be solved, but it's important for him [Vladimir Putin] to give me space. . . . This is my last election. After my election, I have more flexibility."

— Barack Obama to Dmitry Medvedev, open mic, March 26, 2012


From Mediaite:
In Tur’s defense, [Florida Representative Francis] Rooney is slightly off in his retelling: it was then-Russian President Dmitry Medvedev who Obama whispered to, who then promised to relay Obama’s message to Putin. But his recollection of the content of Obama’s message was accurate: “This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility,” he told the Russians.

Obama’s hot mic comments were major news at the time, receiving widespread coverage. Obama’s Republican opponent Mitt Romney seized upon the gaffe and worked it into his stump speeches, even bringing it up during one of the presidential debates.
Bottom line: I don't trust NBC News.

No comments: