Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Milwaukee County Parks: Permit For 'Pokemon Go'



From WISN 12 News:

Milwaukee County's parks director has sent a letter to the company behind the gaming sensation "Pokemon Go," asking it to comply with a county ordinance that requires a permit for game play in the public spaces, WISN 12 NEWS has learned.

So far there's been no reply, parks director John Dargle said, adding that he's only asking the CEO of Niantic to do what any organization must do when it organizes an event on park land.

"We're asking them to submit a permit so that we understand who is the contact (and) how we can get a hold of them if this should get out of hand," Dargle said.

Until that permit is obtained, Niantic "must deactivate and removal all Pokemon GO sites, including Poke stops and Gyms within Milwaukee County parks," the letter said.

...Additionally, entrepreneurs like artist Anandah Bohl have seized upon the opportunity presented by the game by selling fan art to the throngs in Lake Park. Niantic makes money through in-app purchases.

"Parks wants a cut of that revenue so we can help catch up on deferred maintenance," Abele said, adding that it's illegal to operate a business without a permit.

"Pokemon Go" player Andres Amaya suggested the county let it go.

"I understand the danger, the worry, the fears behind that, but from what I've seen, everyone plays respectfully here. Everyone's extremely polite, and I don't know why people wouldn't want the parks to be filled with people. That's what parks are made for," he said.
Oh my God! People in a county park! Imagine that.

Give me a break!

This is all about money, as Abele admits. The county wants its cut.

When I was at Lambeau Field over a month ago, I saw what was clearly a "Pokemon Go" assembly at the "Lambeau Leap" statue.

It didn't bother me. I expect to encounter people when I'm out in public.





No comments: