Sunday, October 11, 2009

SNL: Obama Nobel Prize Skit (Video)

For the second week in a row, Saturday Night Live began with Obama in its opening skit.

This one didn't really mock Obama. I suppose after last week's uproar over the opening skit, when SNL dared to lampoon Obama, they wanted to go the safe route. Another week of CNN and the AP factchecking probably would have been too much of a headache, so SNL wimped out.

No surprise there.

Transcript

DON PARDO (Announcer): The following is an address by the president of the United States.

OBAMA (Fred Armisen): Thank you. Good evening my fellow Americans. As most of you are probably aware, yesterday the news came that I had been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

This came without warning. I didn't even get a call as due to the time difference in Norway, the Nobel people didn't want to wake me up. I wish they had. Like I said to Hillary Clinton, 'Hey, remember that 3:00 AM call you were so worried about? It happened. Nobel Peace Prize.'

Now, this prize bestowed by the Nobel Committee in Norway is given annually to individuals who have made significant contributions to world peace.

Jimmy Carter won it for decades of trying to find solutions for international conflicts.

Al Gore won it for his years of educating the U.S. about climate change.

And us, well, I won it for not being George Bush.

To be perfectly honest, this award was a complete surprise as I have only not been George W. Bush for nine months. But I am deeply honored nonetheless. And that's not all that I have to be grateful for.

Just moments ago, I was informed, and I almost hesitate to say this, that I won the $70 million jackpot in the Powerball lottery. I know, it's crazy.

The funny thing is it's the first Powerball ticket I have ever bought. It's true. I was driving Sasha and Malia home from school and we stopped at a 7-11 for sodas. We all chose two numbers and there you have it -- $70 million.

Alice, can we bring in that check?

(Alice, played by Kristen Wiig, brings in an over-sized check.)

Look at that. Alice here plays the Powerball every week so I thought she'd like to hold the check.



Of course, I won't be keeping the money. As with my Nobel Prize money, I will be donating it to charity. But first, I have an important decision to make: Do I take the money as a one-time lump sum payout, or as an annuity over the next thirty years?

It's a tough decision so I intend to do what I always do, and meet with my financial team -- Tim Geithner, Ben Bernanke, Larry Summers. Then whatever they advise, I'll do, because those guys do not make mistakes. And I'm sure Michelle will have some ideas, too.

Thank you very much, and Live from New York, it's Saturday Night.

______________

Later, during "Weekend Update," there was some joking about Obama's Nobel Prize that was at his expense.
SETH MEYERS: In a surprise decision, President Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize Friday.

In other premature awards this week--

High school football player Billy Reynolds has been named this year's Heisman Trophy winner.



Fifth grader Amber Collins has been named Miss America.



And nine-year-old Dylan Holt has been named People's "Sexiest Man Alive."



Another joke:
SETH MEYERS: President Obama reacted to his Nobel Peace Prize saying, 'I accept this award as a call to action.'

That's great, but just as a reminder, that's what the election was, too.

______________

Video.

No comments: